Saturday, September 3, 2011

What do I wish to say no to


I am inspired by Jamie's Webcasting Wednesday at http://jamieridlerstudios.ca/wishcasting-wednesday-what-do-you-wish-to-say-no-to.

Today I wish to say no to limits, boundaries, and opinions that can hold me back. I dreamed last night about stretching my boundaries, going to new places, finding new ideas.
I had some customers yesterday that told me there are so many rules for their lives. They said for 20-30 year olds, there are rules about what you can and can't wear, rules for dating, rules for finding jobs, rules for your friends. I told her that she didn't need those rules, she could just step outside of them and live the way she wanted to, but she couldn't see a way to do it. She said because I was older, I was free to do whatever I wanted, but she couldn't see the same freedom for herself.
Why do people feel so boxed in? So I thought about the rules that I felt I HAVE to follow and wondered why? Why can't I do the things I want to do? When I finally got the courage to wear red, it was freeing and liberating. When I met my husband, I thought at first I couldn't get too involved with him because of his age. Who made up that stupid rule? And broke the rule and married him anyway.
There is so much talk about living outside the box, yet I wonder, what is the box that we feel we have to live in? Why? Let's go outside the box today. Let's think about ways that we can explore new worlds that have nothing to do with the box. Let's turn the box into a vehicle that will transport us to new realities. We can learn from it and use it, but we don't have to be trapped by it.
You know, no has always been a difficult word for me. When I was in kindergarten, my teacher told me I didn't know how to say no. For years, I practiced in front of a mirror. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized it wasn't the way I was pronouncing it that everyone was referring to. It was a matter of my own boundaries.
I need to say no to boxes and be happy with how that sounds today.

No comments:

Post a Comment